A Brief History & some interesting stuff about Perth Rowing Club


21 July 1933 First meeting of the Club convened in the Maylands Town Hall for the purposes of forming a Rowing Club. Motion on Grant/Stephens that Maylands Rowing Club be formed, with the headquarters at East Street Jetty in Maylands. The meeting also agreed to foster swimming and yachting.


The East Maylands site was found to be unsuitable.

Colours of royal blue, old gold and brown adopted

September 1933 West Australian rowing Club donated second hand oars, thanks Westies!


1936 Jim Campbell (Captain) offered to build a tub pair.


1937 Club moved from Mr F Warner property to Swan Street East Perth (near the old power station).


1946 Mr A (Blue) Collins became the first member to represent the State in the Kings Cup, he occupied 7 seat.


1947 Motion adopted to admit social members to the club with full privileges except the use of boats.


1947 The Club order their first new boat, a bond wood practice four, until this time the club had the use of second hand boats only.


1948 J M Campbell, C R Stewart and J Milne made life members for services to the Club.


1949 Order placed with P Neale of Bassendean for a new boat and Christened the J M Campbell.


1950 Order placed will W Ninham of Victoria Park for a bond wood new eight to be named the C R (Clem) Stewart


1951 George Frizzell becomes the second Club member to represent the Club in the Kings Cup


1951 Club becomes incorporated under the Associations Incorporations Act 


1952 State Championship Maiden VIII’s won by the Club for the first time.


1953 New pair donated by K D Grant to the club (apparently Mrs Grant had no idea how generous she & her husband had been)  and Christened the A C Collins


1954 Order placed with W Ninham of Victoria Park for a practice four named the Ken Grant


1954 K D Grant made a life member of the Club


1955 Decision made to hold an annual dinner


1955 K Walmsley became third member of the club to represent the club in the Kings Cup.


1955 New singlet of green and gold squares in square pattern adopted. 


1955 Inaugural Dinner held in the Maylands Masonic Hall


1956 Conference held with Perth City Council on the future of the Clubhouse in Swan street with regard to its dilapidated condition.


1956 At a Special General meeting the Club name changed from Maylands rowing Club to Perth Rowing Club.


1956 Second annual dinner held in the Mount Lawley Tennis Club.


Around 1956 the Club moved from Swan Street Mount Lawley to the Perth dinghy Club premises next to WARC 


Following the1962 Commonwealth Games Perth moved to the current location. 


The name was changed to Perth and Collegians late 70’s due to a strong association with the boys colleges, predominantly Christchurch and Wesley.


Late 80’s/90’s the name was changed to ECU Perth Rowing Club.


to be continued...